U.S. judge blocks Nativity displays in Santa Monica
Posted by doctore0 on November 19, 2012
They are going to appeal.. sheesh Just give the money to the poor instead of blowing it on bs!!
Santa Monica scrapped its annual event after intense battles between churches and secular groups over the display of life-sized nativity scenes on the beach.
4:07PM EST November 19. 2012 – A federal judge Monday denied a bid by churches to force Santa Monica to reopen spaces in a city park to private displays, including life-sized Christmas Nativity scenes.
The city shut down the six-decade tradition last year after a bitter dispute between religious groups and atheists, who overwhelmed the city’s auction process for display sites, winning most of the 21 slots.
U.S. District Court Judge Audrey Collins formalized her ruling after it was given to attorneys in advance of a late-morning hearing, the Associated Press reported.
William Becker, an attorney representing a group of Christian churches, said he would appeal. Another hearing on additional argument is scheduled for Dec. 3.
“The atheists won,” Becker told the Los Angeles Times. “It’s a shame about Christmas. Pontius Pilate was exactly the same kind of administrator.”